Friday, September 9, 2011

Grandparent's Day

Today is Grandparent's Day--the day when Grandparents go to breakfast with grandchildren and maybe back to the classroom to read a story or two. I never remember when the day is because we have one grandparent and he lives in another state.

Papa came to stay with us for a little while this summer. The first words from my oldest lovely was "Can he come to Grandparent's Day?". The first thing she said to him when he arrived was "Can you come to Grandparent's Day?". When she found out that he was going home in July, she cried because he wouldn't be here for Grandparent's Day.

We made big promises. We would make the 8-hour drive (one way) and bring Papa here so he could go to Grandparent's Day. She stopped crying, but didn't quite make it to Happy on that subject.

My heart plummeted on Wednesday when I saw the notice about Grandparent's Day come out of the backpack. Foul language sprang to my lips (I squelched it in the presence of the young). There was no way either me or doc could make the drive and keep that promise.

Was there a Plan B or even C? In hindsight, I should have gone to www.RentAGrandparent.com or called 1-800-GrandparentalRental.

Grandparent's Day has dawned bright and early to lots of tears. Neither me or doc (who is the  master) were able to calm the Lovely.  I was reminded of a line from a movie (Tootsie)--"I'm just going to feel this way until I don't feel this way."


It doesn't have to be Grandparent's Day for me to miss my mother and mother-in-law. Both have been gone 11 years. The first thing I wanted to do after we received both girls was to call them. When they do something that is too-cute-for-words, I want to tell them about it.

When a new design comes out, I know that both would bust their buttons with pride. When I've been working on a design problem and the light comes on, I want to call them and share that rush of success.

When I teach my own girls to sew--one using Grandma's sewing machine and the other using Grandmother's--I am thankful that I had a mother and a mother-in-law who loved me fully, taught me how to be crafty, and shared the need to create things.

No comments: