Thursday, October 23, 2008

Stitchin' to the Pitchin'

I'm a sports fan, no doubt about it. Football (college and professional), college basketball, baseball, tennis . . . I love them all. Some sports are more conducive to stitchin' than others. Sports that are bound by a time clock are more difficult for me to relax and stitch.

Which brings me to BASEBALL! Specifically, Tampa Bay Rays! Baseball has no time limitations. While the team can get into some mighty tight situations, it's not a game of hurry-up-before-the-clock-runs-down.

Last night was Game 1 of the World Series. In preparation, I did a mental survey of possible projects. The knit top is going well, but knit is still too much like work for me, so that was not a good option. Crochet is my natural habitat, and I needed to be comfortable to enjoy this first-ever franchise World Series game.

I'm in between crochet projects, so whatever the choice it would be started anew. And it needed to be a project that is up there on the pleasure scale with chocolate. That left only one choice . . . socks. Oh, how I love socks!

I've had a ball of Berroco Sox for a few weeks. Last night was the time to break open that wrapper and begin. My hands were itchin', striping danced in my head.

The Phillies pitched and the Rays struck out. I started a top-down sock. The Phillies pitched some more and the Rays struck out some more. I stitched on. The colors were developing nicely, yet unexpectedly in the sock, but I was ok with it.

The Phillies pitched some more and the Rays grounded into double plays. I kept stitchin'.

Close to midnight, the Rays came up short by one run. But I have the cuff and the heel flap done!

And I'm ready for tonight's Game 2. By midnight tonight, I hope the Rays will have a win and I'll have a completed sock!

No comments: