Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Loom Knitting

Part 2

I left off with the fact that my loom was too big for my foot. Each loom contains a fixed # of pegs (or stitches) so I was unable to use that loom for a smaller size.

I went back to the Decor Accents website and found that they also make an adjustable sock loom. The # of pegs can be adjusted in increments of 2, providing the flexibility of making socks in a variety of sizes. I promptly ordered that loom.

I grabbed a ball of Berroco Sox that I bought at Fiber Art and set to work, using 64 pegs. I chose an easy pattern that I found on the Decor Accents website. I kept notes of the # of rows for the cuff and for the leg, so that I could duplicate the same on its friend.

I was terribly excited when I completed my first short row heel. It looked great and wasn't as scary as I thought it would be.

The foot of the sock was easier because the sole of the foot was in stockinette st and the upper portion was in the pattern stitch.

The toe is created using the short row method, as in the heel, and I was more confident when I came to that portion. I sailed right through that section as well.

The final step is to sew the toe closed using the Kitchener stitch. That requires some concentration.

All in all, both socks turned out well and I enjoy wearing them.

Tomorrow . . . the pros and cons of the round versus the adjustable looms.

No comments: