Friday, July 20, 2012

Rejections

I got a note back from an editor about one of my submissions . . . a rejection, but this editor had some information as to why the design didn't work. In addition, she said "If you'd like to re-submit, I'd be happy to look at it."

Well, yahoo! Of course I'd like to re-submit! I've been busy swatching up something else in record time because there are still deadlines to be met.  Will the editor buy this new idea? I don't know.  But if I DON'T re-submit, I know I won't make a sale.

The same thing happened to me a few years ago, when I was a VERY new designer. "We are under directions not to buy any more ponchos, but if it was on something else . . ."  I didn't take the hint and I didn't re-submit my idea "on something else". I know that was a lost opportunity.

Rejections come for all kinds of reasons--some I can control and some I can't. So, when one comes, I have to look at what I can DO about it, and move on.

Moving on means getting out the next editorial calendar or call for submissions and working on ideas; more swatching and sketching.

Keep on keeping on.

Happy Stitchin'



No comments: